Monday 19 August 2013

Fun Math Lesson!

Lesson started with the reviews from previous topic which is Fractions.

Well, fractions are tricky. It involves with division, multiplication, addition as well as subtraction.
I was still confused after yesterday's quiz whereby we are required to do an equation 3/4 divide by 1/8.
As usual, I used the methods taught by my teacher but I was amazed on how Dr Yeap can derived to the solution by just using diagrams and pictorials.
I feel that this is technique for young children to understand fractions.

I totally love the coloured tiles and the challenged to create figures using about 3-5 tiles. With the constraint given whereby the tiles must fully touched one another, it is actually quite challenging. I would love to do this with the children in class as it will help them with their visualization skills.

After today's lesson, as I reflected, another good way to teach young children the concept of fraction is through cookery lesson like baking a pizza.

Afterall, children learn best through play  and children needs lots of fun.
And Math can be fun too!




No comments:

Post a Comment